gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] text/plain, CRLF

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] text/plain, CRLF
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:38:01 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:59:21PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
I just discovered that RFC 2046 says that all text/ subtypes MUST use CRLF for linebreaks, and MUST NOT use CR or LF outside linebreaks, specifically including text/plain. We currently save our text scrolls using single \n linebreaks, but with headers saying they're text/plain.

What should we do about this?

Ouuuuuuchie. Ok, I really really wouldn't like to start including CRLFs
in our text scrolls, so how about changing the mimetype?
Is the requirement still true for UTF-8 encoded things?

The RFC explicitly says, independent from character encoding.

OTOH, I've found someplace saying that HTTP relaxes the requirement (saying, clients must be able to recognize any of CR, LF, and CRLF as a linebreak; the file must be consistent). Should look up the actual RFCs and decide whether that would be a way to go for us.

But: Stupid Java for not having Readers that handle CRLF, converting them to Java \n... (AFAIK)

- Benja