gzz-dev

[Gzz] Compile dependencies

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: [Gzz] Compile dependencies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:01:45 +0300 (EEST)

I've had a few tries in the idea of determining needed files using strace.
Unfortunately make uses vfork instead of normal fork, and strace doesn't
work very well with vforks.

This won't follow any processes make runs:
strace -f -e trace=file make compile >strace.out 2>&1

This seems to follow all processes but hangs in the end:
strace -F -f -e trace=file make compile >strace.out 2>&1

The command in 'devscripts' Debian package has the same problem:
dpkg-depcheck -m -o dep.out make compile

The -m would be nice, as it compiles a minimum list of packages that
wouldn't be installed by dependencies. devscipts contains libvfork.so
which I guess is meant to circumvent the problem, but it seems to
have no effect.

At the moment, 'make compile' compiles also the native OpenGL code. Can't
we run Gzz at all without native code and OpenGL? I hope we could and in
that case compiling code which is not necessarily needed should be a
separate target. Could, for example, target 'glgzz' include all such code?

I could get some results running 'strace -F -f' and interrupting when it
hangs. Running the following pipeline gives the referred packages:
cat strace.out | sed -e 's/[^"]*\("\(\/[^"]*\)"\)\?.*/\2/' | sort | uniq |
while read file; do real=`readlink -f "$file"` ;
[ -e "$real" -a ! -d "$real" ] && dpkg -S "$real" ; done |
sed -e 's/:.*//' | sort | uniq >dep.out

On my system, it gives out the following list:
base-files
bash
cpp-2.95
debianutils
fileutils
g++-2.95
gcc-2.95
grep
hostname
j2sdk1.3
libboost-dev
libc6
libc6-dev
libfreetype6-dev
libgdk-pixbuf-dev
libglib1.2-dev
libgtk1.2-dev
libncurses5
libstdc++2.10-dev
locales
make
mesag-dev
perl-base
python2.2
sed
shellutils
textutils

make test doesn't give additional dependencies, but make runclient does:
gsfonts
xlibs

make glgzz adds:
binutils
g++-3.0
gcc-3.0
glutg3
glutg3-dev
libgcc1
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-dev
mawk
mesag3

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden