gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Storm URIs

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Storm URIs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:39:02 +0200

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

On 20020820T235348+0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
Alternatives to the above scheme include using x-storm: or urn:x-storm: for now. Maybe these are better. (URIs actually don't have the x- mechanism in the standard though, AFAIK.) Opinions?

Ted once said to me that nothing is as permanent as the temporary.

The NNTP folks at IETF are having a problem with "experimental" commands
such as XOVER that are used virtually by all clients and implemented by
all major servers.  I think their current Internet Draft calls for a
rename to OVER (changing semantics slightly IIRC), which will require a
change of the whole current installed base (which is HUGE).

Similarly, the HTTP/1.1 spec explicitly mentions x-gzip compression,
which it (IIRC) renames to gzip.

I'd go for non-x names.

Yes, that's part of why I preferred storm:... Thanks for the examples-- I'm convinced of not using x- now ;-)

(Of course, using x- names in a public context is *always* an abuse of the standard, so there isn't a terrible lot to gain.)

-b.