gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 30th-31th (Benja)

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 30th-31th (Benja)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:08:57 +0300

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:59:20PM +0200, B. Fallenstein wrote:
> I've committed a change to ScrollSpanMaker that creates new
> TransientTextScrolls when the old ones have gone immutable.

Heh, this is exactly the solution I thought of when mulling over
this yesterday ;) Glad to see we're on the same track.

> Here's one other thing to consider, for sometime--
>     What we really want to do is making blocks not with all spans, but with
> only those that our SliceVersion references. Then we don't have the
> difficulty with FakeSpans: When we save and load again, the fake spans must
> still be there-- so we do need to save  them somehow-- and if they're copied
> to 'real' user cells, they must acquire global ids-- yet when we create a new
> one each time the cursor moves, say, we have far too much data. So we simply
> save those that are there when we save a version-- that is reasonably cheap...

No, FakeSpan works like a span but is saved as a string and has no
identity to it - it's there so that you can put computer-generated
text to enfilades if you want.

The documentation apparently isn't clear enough yet ;)

        Tuomas