gwm-general

[Gwm-general] Printing the Documentation

From: Craig Morehouse
Subject: [Gwm-general] Printing the Documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:30:02 -0500

Dear Guy;

I read the announcement by Hemos on slashdot, (though it didn't give your name, just a link), and may have something to contribute...

Last month, I incorported a non-profit Operating Foundation whose mission is to print Public Domain or Public Licensed books, manuals and documentation. The name of the firm is The Foundation Project Inc., and it is located here in Winter Park, FL. (That's adjacent to Orlando). The EIN is 59-3756886.

I have two missions in mind here; one is to take the Project Gutenberg library of 4,156 Public domain books, translate them into professional quality PDF's, produce them with On-Demand technology into 6" x 9" Trade Paperbacks, and sell the whole library for a flat fee of $5 a book. And of that $5, $1 will be handed back to Project Gutenberg for processing more books and increasing the size of the library. Right now, it is growing at the rate of 100 per month. We can quadruple that rate this way. This reference might help..
http://www.sandriod.org/GutenMark/Foundation.html

The second thing I want to do is to make available documents and manuals that are produced under the GPl as professionally printed and bound volumes, orderable from the website, with a price under $10. (These works will be in 8.5" x 11" format, and will be bigger on average than the Project Gutenberg books. Hence the higher price). However, as above, $1 of each piece printed and sold will be sent back to the firm that produced it.

This will open a source of funding for the Open Source world that doesn't exist now.

I just wanted ot get your attention here. If you'd like to pursue this further, by all means, do so. We seem to have a commanality of interest.

        Craig Morehouse
        Executive Director,
        The Foundation Project Inc.
        3007 George Mason Ave.