gwm-general

[Gwm-general] GNU Writing Movement/ Free "Academic" Papers?

From: Jason M. Felice
Subject: [Gwm-general] GNU Writing Movement/ Free "Academic" Papers?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:58:38 -0500

I just got a reply (last week?) from the general GNU mailbox.  I had asked if
anyone knew of a project which was a repository for papers describing
algorithms, procedures, and other technical, abstract stuff.  They did not
know of one.

I talked to a couple people at the Cleveland Linux User's Group who very much
wanted such a thing, and we talked, but never made it past that stage.

So I'm wondering if you'd considered or are willing to consider using the
repository for this purpose as well as your so-far-stated purpose.

The papers I've got outlines for are for algorithms or programs I'd never
have time to implement, but they are good enough ideas that it would be a
shame if they got lost.  I'm hoping we can make a place that some college
student sharpening his programming skills might look.

As an example of what I'm taling about, the two outlines
I have are for a 1) distributed version control system which could work over
FreeNet and allow anyone to start their own branch, and 2) a lisp-like
query language which allows inversion of queries and true, 100% database
abstraction (unlike the call abstraction of most DBIs).

It would be nice to have a place to go when I'd like to find reference on
how the BTREE algorithm works, for example.  As far as the "GNU Writing
Movement" goes, the name sort of implies more breadth and depth than the
kind of things I'm looking for, but they seem to be complimentary.

Let me know,
-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice <address@hidden>