guix-europe-sac

Re: [Guix-europe-sac] extra domain name for Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Guix-europe-sac] extra domain name for Guix
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 22:09:25 +0200

Hello Guix!

(Sorry for the delay, I didn’t have the right mail filters for these new
mailing lists…)

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Ludovic has already requested the sub-domain guix.gnu.org from the GNU
>>> sysadmins, but it may be useful to have a shorter additional domain name
>>> for Guix and also for the Guix Europe association.
>>
>> guix.gnu.org is definitely a good choice! Now the question is how much
>> control will we have over it? Can we easily add DNS entries for servers
>> under it like www.guix.gnu.org, bayfront.guix.gnu.org and so on?
>
> Yes, that’s the goal.  I don’t know if it is possible, but that’s what
> we want.

Definitely.  I’m a no0b when it comes to DNS, but roughly I suppose we
could run a DNS server on one of our machines (bayfront?), and then we
can add subdomain names as we see fit (we could ask Julien Lepiller or
Clément Lassieur to look into this maybe.)

We would also need to host the web site somewhere, which could be
bayfront if we deem it appropriate (we should discuss this on
guix-sysadmin).

> To me “guix.info” is the least flashy and thus most appropriate
> candidate — if we really need a domain that’s separate from gnu.org.

guix.info LGTM; I’m less sure about guix.cc, but why not.

Thanks!

Ludo’.