guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: diffoscope: Update to version 115-1.7f3416f.

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: diffoscope: Update to version 115-1.7f3416f.
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 17:21:38 -0700

On 2019-05-31, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Vagrant,
>
> address@hidden wrote:
>> gnu: diffoscope: Update to version 115-1.7f3416f.
>
> I wondered why this was updated to a git revision instead of the
> 115 release tag, and found:

Realized I should have included a comment explaining why that commit was
used right after I pushed...

>     Commit 7f3416ff
>     Committed by Vagrant Cascadian 6 days ago
>
>     Add support for known external tools on GNU Guix.[1]
>
> Nice.  Thank you!

Especially since guix's diffoscope doesn't install *all* of the tools
needed, that seemed like an important feature to get working, as it
allows you to:

  diffoscope --list-missing-tools guix

And it will suggest packages you might want to install.

Though I did wonder if there shouldn't be a
diffoscope-with-the-kitchen-sink variant that does pull in everything
available.

Happy diffoscoping!

live well,
  vagrant