guix-devel

Re: Program to build the on-line manuals (HTML + PDF)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Program to build the on-line manuals (HTML + PDF)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 23:52:53 +0200

> Here’s a build program I used to generate all the gnu.org/s/guix/manual
> hierarchy, with all the languages, HTML and PDF.
>
> You can drop in your Guix tree and run, say:
>
>   GUIX_MANUAL_VERSION=1.0.1 guix build -f build.scm
>
> to build the manual for 1.0.1.

Neat!

It seems that this must be run from the “doc” directory, because it
assumes that the git repository root is in the parent directory of the
current working directory.

I haven’t been able to successfully run it yet.  I’m on the master
branch and issued

    GUIX_MANUAL_VERSION=1.0.1 ../pre-inst-env guix build -f build.scm

from within the “doc” directory, but this is what I get:

;;; (repo "/home/rekado/dev/gx/branches/master/doc/..")
guix build: error: failed to load 'build.scm':
git/branch.scm:101:8: Git error: cannot locate remote-tracking branch
'origin/version-1.0.1'

> Regarding PDFs, I failed to use something smaller than the big ‘texlive’
> package.  I’d very much welcome help in that area!

I’ll try to debug this and report back.

--
Ricardo