guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 11:54:30 +0200

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 22:17, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> For me this command
>
>   time guix package --search=python-numpy
>
> when run for the first time takes
>
>   real  0m4.729s
>   user  0m1.332s
>   sys   0m0.815s
>
> All following invocations finish in about a second:
>
>   real  0m1.469s
>   user  0m1.459s
>   sys   0m0.108s

Your machine is probably faster than mine ;-)

Yes, once the cache is warm, then it is faster.
By "All following invocations" you mean a search for a non related
previous one. Right?
It is expected to be faster because the `fold' over all the package
has warmed the memory cache (kernel stuff). Right?

On my machine, I have:

 $ time guix package --search=numpy
real    0m7.353s
user    0m1.256s
sys     0m0.136s

$  time guix package --search=conduit
real    0m0.728s
user    0m0.764s
sys     0m0.044s

compared to Debian `aptitude` for example:

 $ time aptitude search numpy
real    0m3.513s
user    0m0.692s
sys     0m0.092s

 $ time aptitude search conduit
real    0m0.622s
user    0m0.540s
sys     0m0.048s

So yes, it depends on how the memory cache is (echo 1 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches or echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) , and
once the cache is warmed, it is fast enough.

My point is that the first search is (often)at least twice longer than
the `aptitude` counter part. And even it is longer than a `git grep`
on the raw .scm files.

 $ time git --no-pager grep numpy
real    0m4.369s
user    0m0.112s