guix-devel

problem installing on RAID partition and hot to rescue

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: problem installing on RAID partition and hot to rescue
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 19:54:26 +0200

Hello Guix!

yesterday I installed Guix 1.0.0 on bare metal (HP ProLiant DL380 G8)
using the Graphical Installation

I "manually" created a RAID 1 device /dev/md0 and used that device with
the "guided partitioning" method: Guix was installed on /mnt (up until
"populating '/mnt'....) but grub-install failed with this error:

  error: diskfilter writes are not supported

the command used by the installer was this:

  /gnu/store/6b2f9iz8...-grub-2-02/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy
--target=i386-pc --boot-directory /mnt/boot /dev/md0

(I copied the above command from a picture of the console, no log sorry)

since I used a "workaround" and creating a RAID device is (still) not
supported by the Graphical Install guided/manual procedure (am I
wrong?), I guess I have to "manually" fix the grub-install step

AFAIU grub-install does not support using /dev/md? devices but I have to
install grub using the underlying physical devices (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb
in this case): correct?

after the failure I tried to remount /dev/md0 as /mnt to try to
grub-install again (on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb) *but* /dev/md0 was busy by
some process and I could not mount it again... I was in a hurry and I
had to stop there, but I suppose this kind of "block" (sorry I had no
time to investigate what process was still using /dev/md0) should be
addressed

late this week I'll be able to work on this again, I plan to start Guix
from the USB install media and use it as a rescue disk to complete
the grub-install on the physical devices: I've done this kind of fixes
several times with several rescue-distros, I should have no problem
using Guix this time

as a side note: what about raplacing mdraid with brtfs?  I have not much
experience with btrfs (especially as a boot filesystem) so I tend to be
conservative and use what I know (and is maybe more mature?)

...anyway: is btrfs formatting using raid1 (or raid10) mode supported
using the Guix Graphical Installer?

last but not least: should we add a guided RAID<N> partitioning
method to the Graphical Installer?

thank you Guix!

--
Giovanni Biscuolo