guix-devel

Re: Mixing build systems

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Mixing build systems
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 07:26:21 +0200

Pronaip <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I'm (still) trying to build Mininet and it uses both a Makefile
> for building an C executable and setup.py to install its Python
> modules. I looked at the soundconverter package to get some hints for
> mixing build systems but couldn't get very far, I get all sorts of
> (mostly cryptic) error messages, usually about missing modules.

For future messages please always include the error messages.

Looking at the soundconverter package we see this:

    (arguments
     `(#:imported-modules ((guix build python-build-system)
                           (guix build glib-or-gtk-build-system)
                           ,@%gnu-build-system-modules)

       #:modules ((guix build glib-or-gtk-build-system)
                  (guix build utils)
                  ((guix build gnu-build-system) #:prefix gnu:)
                  ((guix build python-build-system) #:prefix python:))

       #:phases …
       ))

What you have is:

      #:imported-modules
      ((guix build python-build-system)
       (guix build gnu-build-system)

       ^— add ,@%gnu-build-system-modules here
       )

      #:modules
      ((guix build utils)
       (guix build python-build-system) #:prefix python:

       ^— wrap this in parentheses

       (guix build gnu-build-system))

Note that the license field is also incorrect.  There is no license by
the name “bsd-style”.

--
Ricardo