guix-devel

Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix

From: rohit yadav
Subject: Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 17:13:36 -0500

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 4:37 PM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Rohit,

> Unfortunately, I am stuck at Centos6 which uses old
> kernel 2.6.32-696.el6.x86_64. I am able to install nix on this system at
> non-root location. It works fine but NIx community has decided to use 2.0
> which only works on newer kernel. Therefore, I have to now backport several
> packages. Making it really hard because lot of packages are broken. Its
> manageable but not ideal. Whereas the guix seems to be independent of
> kernel (atleast that is my assumption so far).

I feel your pain.  I still need to sometimes touch CentOS 6 systems.
Guix is largely kernel-independent but the GNU C library is not.  It has
a minimum kernel requirement of 3.x (I don’t know the exact version).

We have patched it to accept the heavily patched RHEL 6 kernel, because
it does seem to provide backports of all the features the GNU C library
depends on.  You may run into some problems with some packages, though.
(I think there were problems with JDK and Qt, and I’m not sure if we
managed to completely work around them.)
The JDK is easy to get around so I am fine there. I rarely using any graphical softwares, so I may be fine here. Its mostly for the purpose of computing software which I want on the HPC, other personal software I can work on my machine. But thanks for pointing this out. Learning about lower level details about the kernel and its dependency has been on my list but never been able to find time.

> I would also like to suggest an alternative to a root-less installation.
>> At the HPC cluster where I work we run the guix-daemon as root on a
>> virtual machine where /gnu/store is a writable NFS share.  Every machine
>> that uses Guix only needs to mount this share as read-only.
>>

> This option is not available as I stated earlier, I do not have the root
> permission.

That’s a pity!

--
Ricardo