guix-devel

Re: Missing Secure and Private Communication Applications in Guix (REVIS

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Missing Secure and Private Communication Applications in Guix (REVISED)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 06:55:59 +0200

On 2019-05-01 15:21, Dexter Morgan wrote:
_*REVISED POST*_
Hello!
I was just browsing FSF's High Priority Projects (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:High_Priority_Projects) and PRISM (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:PRISM). I found out that some applications listed there for secure and private communications were not imported into Guix yet. The applications are:
[1] CyrptoCat (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Cryptocat)

This has no releases and requires NPM libraries.

[2] Ekiga (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ekiga) *

This is buggy. Last release 5 years ago.

[3] Empathy (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Empathy) *

"Empathy is looking for a new maintainer, see Attic/Unmaintained."

We have pidgin, pidgin-otr, Jami and Tox. Tox offers both Voice and Video calls it seems. Jami offers both Voice and Audio and video conference calls.

[4] Jitsi (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Jitsi) **

No release since oct 2018, requires java and ant.
Supports Gtalk/Hangouts which will have to be evaluated for freedom/privacy issues.

[5] Linphone (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Linphone)

Last release was a year ago. SIP VOIP communicator. We have Jami and Tox.

[6] Ricochet (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Ricochet)

Last release 7 Nov 2016

[7] Wire (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Wire) **

Written in JS,
  "dependencies": {
    "@wireapp/certificate-check": "0.1.6",
    "@wireapp/commons": "1.6.6",
    "auto-launch": "5.0.5",
    "axios": "0.18.0",
    "electron-window-state": "5.0.3",
    "file-url": "3.0.0",
    "fs-extra": "7.0.1",
    "image-type": "4.1.0",
    "lodash": "4.17.11",
    "logdown": "3.2.8",
    "minimist": "1.2.0",
    "moment": "2.24.0",
    "open-graph": "0.2.4",
    "prop-types": "15.7.2",
    "raygun": "0.10.1",
    "react": "16.8.6",
    "react-dom": "16.8.6",
    "react-redux": "7.0.3",
    "redux": "4.0.1",
    "redux-logger": "3.0.6",
    "redux-thunk": "2.3.0",
    "uuid": "3.3.2"

* Part of GNOME, but not in Guix yet.
** Very useful for non-techsavvy users.
Thank you!
*HAPPY TO SEE THE COUNT REDUCED :)*

This is not that likely if you don't package one of these yourself.

I found something during my review:

I found guile bindings for tox!
https://github.com/urras/guile-toxcore (no release yet though and they use an old tox API it seems)

Happy packaging.