guix-devel

Re: custom kernel config

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: custom kernel config
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 16:15:56 +0200

Hello,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> (define-public linux-libre-E2140
>>>   (let ((base
>>>           ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre)
>>>            (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-version)
>>>            (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-hash)
>>>            '("x86_64-linux")
>>>            #:extra-version "E2140"
>>>            #:patches (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-5.0-patches))))
>>
>> Could we make all ‘make-linux-libre’ public to avoid the @@ there?
>> Otherwise it’s a bit scary, and not something we could recommend since
>> we’re accessing private variables.
>
> I'm sorry that I didn't see this message sooner, but FWIW: I would
> prefer not to export 'make-linux-libre', because I have found it to be a
> poorly designed interface in need of replacement, and it would be good
> to avoid having to maintain it going forward.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure.  Do you have specific issues in mind that you think
should be addressed?

Anyway for the post, Efraim could perhaps write:

  (define make-linux-libre
    ;; XXX: Access the internal ‘make-linux-libre’ procedure, which is
    ;; private until its interface has stabilized.  Stay tuned!
    (@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre))

Thanks,
Ludo’.