guix-devel

Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 23:47:58 -0700

On 2019-03-09, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2019-03-06, Timothy Sample wrote:
>> Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> writes:
>
> So, I've gotten the kernel to load, but the version of coreboot and/or
> depthcharge I have installed seems to ignore the presence of the initrd
> (which you had mentioned in your initial mail). I guess I should try
> libreboot again, maybe it fixed some other things too...

With libreboot re-installed, it's working for me as well!

I haven't tried just applying the minimal patches and/or configuration
on top of Guix's linux-libre, but that seems like a logical next step...

> I did manage to get the rockchip.usb_uart with a hacked up USB cable to
> produce a serial console for debugging and actually seeing the kernel
> logs rather than them scrolling pass the screen only to give a kernel
> panic.
>
>   (kernel-arguments '("console=ttyS2,115200" "rockchip.usb_uart"))

To be clear, this feature doesn't actually make a serial console over
USB, it somehow "rewires" one of the USB ports to have a ground, rx and
tx serial-ttl pinout. So you pretty much need a custom USB-A plug and
solder/crimp the bare wires to a serial-ttl adapter. Slightly more
details in Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt.

live well,
  vagrant