guix-devel

Re: Packaging FreeCAD

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Packaging FreeCAD
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:15:22 +0000

Thanks Efraim!

That helped a lot. I Switched to version 5.11.3 and swapped qt for qtbase and some extra qt libraries and that moved me past the one blocker. Now I am faced with another challenge. I packaged Shiboken 1 previously when I did not realize freecad moved to pyside2; in that process I followed the nix packaging strategy of building all the bundled libraries separately.  I am now running into the same issues I had prior to splitting up Shiboken 1 while building pyside2. The python build system in pyside2 shells out to cmake for most of the build process.  That means it does not use cmake-build-system. Does pyside2 need to be split into parts now? It is more challenging for pyside2 that Shiboken 1 because the sources for all the libraries are shipped together.  Here's the source, for reference: https://code.qt.io/cgit/pyside/pyside-setup.git/

Thank you all,

John

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 7:25 AM Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 02:14:15AM +0000, John Soo wrote:
> Hi guix,
>
> Just a quick update. I have little to report on freecad. I am still stuck
> packaging pyside2. I have looked over the debian packaging rules but I am
> unfamiliar with their packaging process. I did some research and it looks
> as though they are using the normal pybuild process with some alterations
> to some paths afterward.  The package completely fails to compile for me
> and I am no expert on python build tooling. Here's what I have tried so far
> and the error: https://paste.debian.net/1072533. Any help would be very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM John Soo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Thanks so much Paul! This is really helpful!
> >
> > > On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Paul Garlick <
> > address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi John,

> > > There has been an effort to package pyside2 for Debian.  This has been
> > > completed in the last six months.
> > >
> > > A good place to look for information is
> > > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyside2
> > >
> > > You can browse the source code and follow the links to the 'debian'
> > > directory, which contains the files that govern the packaging process.
> > > In general for Debian packages, the 'rules' file is worth reading and
> > > the 'patches' directory has the changes to the upstream code.
> > >
> > > One element that could be important in Guix is an update of patchelf to
> > > a recent commit (see 'update-patchelf.patch' in the patches directory).
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Paul.

I haven't tried building it myself yet, but two things come to mind:
Try using qtbase instead of qt, it has a much smaller footprint and will
likely be requested when it's time to include the package in Guix.

You're using version 5.12.1, and in Guix we have qt 5.11.3. It's likely
the errors you're getting are because the version of Qt is different.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351