guix-devel

Re: Guix pronunciation

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Guix pronunciation
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 18:20:28 +0100

Hullo!

Now I personally think ‘Guix’ looks and sounds good (not fine), and our logo is positively stunning, and damn professional too. If that makes me biased, so be it ;-)

mikadoZero wrote:
I also wanted to know what people think about the "geeks"
pronunciation and how it may impact adoption of Guix as it continues
to grow long term.  Maybe someday becoming as popular as Debian,
macOS or Windows are today (wishful thinking). For example what if
Linux kernel had actually been called Freax. […] Would it have
negatively impacted adoption of the kernel.

I really don't think so. ‘Linux’ is the fellow's name with an X on the end. It's as much of a anti-marketing joke as ‘Freax’ was (or GNU or Guix for that matter). The only reason it seems more familiar is because, well, it is.

And (honest question): do we even care? Such a stupid reason to shoot yourself in the foot with an inferior package manager.

Yes Freax and "geeks"

[and “Linux”]

are fun.   On the other hand branding is important.

You wrote this as a contradiction but I don't see one.

The world's most valuable and evil company was once called ‘Google’. Koooky!

Just to make my bias clear.  I am not a fan of pronouncing Guix
"geeks" and find myself thinking of deliberately mispronouncing
Guix as "gwixs" or spelling out the letters G U I X when talking
to people about Guix.

That's really unfortunate.

Kind regards,

T G-R

GUIX® is a trademark of Express Logic, Inc. All other brands or product names are the property of their respective holders.