guix-devel

Re: Guix video repository: First video script commited

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Guix video repository: First video script commited
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 15:53:52 +0100

Hi Laura and sirgazil,

I was able to build videos in 01-installation-from-script following the
updated informations in the README, that is:

1. environment.sh
2. install-fonts.sh
3. cd 01-installation-from-script/ && buildall.sh

the only "strange" message I see during the build is

convert: profile 'icc': 'RGB ': RGB color space not permitted on grayscale PNG
`01-installation-from-script/en_US/out/secondCli-0148.png' @
warning/png.c/MagickPNGWarningHandler/1667

but AFAIK we should ignore it
https://github.com/ImageMagick/ImageMagick/issues/884#issuecomment-451084328
(or make it quiet?)

sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> + Text is not rendered with the appropriate font (known issue).

with commit 1dd8478 font issues are gone: done!

> + Firefox 65.0.1 says "Video can't be played because the file is
> corrupt."

same here: each video built in 01-installation-from-script/en_US/videos/
fails to be played in Firefox 60.3.0esr

Chromium 72.0.3626.119 can play all them, but colours are altered like
with Totem from sirgazil tests; chromium auto-rescales the different
aspect ratio in cli and noCli videos

[...]

> As for the corrupted videos, in the Totem video player, the video plays
> but black colors are displayed green instead (maybe result of the
> corruption?). In VLC the video plays OK, and the colors are fine.

mpv also plays the video with unaltered colours but is non able to
manage the different aspect ratios: I have to switch to full-screen (so
auto-rescales) in cli sessions video parts and switch back to normal
screen when video svitches to noCli

[...]

about aspect ratio of videos, mediainfo reports:

[...] 01-installation-from-script/en_US/videos $ mediainfo *
General
Complete name                            : 01-installation-from-script.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 8.80 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 47 s
Overall bit rate                         : 324 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 3 min 47 s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:03:47.824000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 3 min 47 s
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:03:47.778000000

General
Complete name                            :
1.clino.01-installation-from-script.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 2.41 MiB
Duration                                 : 56 s 973 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 355 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 56 s 967 ms
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:56.973000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 56 s 973 ms
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:56.869000000

General
Complete name                            : 1.cliyes.firstCli.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 4.73 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 min 48 s
Overall bit rate                         : 367 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 1 min 48 s
Width                                    : 1 495 pixels
Height                                   : 1 058 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.413
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 20.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:01:48.157000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 1 min 48 s
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:01.008000000

General
Complete name                            :
2.clino.01-installation-from-script.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 400 KiB
Duration                                 : 9 s 40 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 363 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 9 s 33 ms
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:09.040000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 9 s 40 ms
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:08.996000000

General
Complete name                            : 2.cliyes.secondCli.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 918 KiB
Duration                                 : 45 s 607 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 165 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 45 s 600 ms
Width                                    : 1 495 pixels
Height                                   : 1 058 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.413
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 20.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:45.607000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 45 s 607 ms
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:01.008000000

General
Complete name                            :
3.clino.01-installation-from-script.webm
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 387 KiB
Duration                                 : 8 s 40 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 395 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library                          : Lavf58.20.100 / Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 8 s 33 ms
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:08.040000000

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 8 s 40 ms
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Writing library                          : Lavc58.35.100 libopus
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
DURATION                                 : 00:00:07.988000000

we should find a way to scale all "cliyes" videos to 1920x1080 pixels

no idea why colours are altered in the browser (our main target, I
suppose)

..I have to stop for today

HTH!

Thanks!