guix-devel

Re: Rust 1.19 fails to build on i686 on ‘staging’

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Rust 1.19 fails to build on i686 on ‘staging’
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 02:53:30 -0800

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you try the following (if you didn't already)?
>
> [...]
>
> (i.e. the things you did before, just inside a i686-linux guix
> environment.  That only provides minimal--almost no--isolation from
> the host, so it should allow us to test whether the personality is the
> only possible culprit)

Did you mean to say that by using a pure guix environment, we can
achieve a high degree of isolation?

I tried what you suggested.  The mrustc invocation still succeeded.

Just for fun, I also made a simple wrapper program that lets me run
another program using the LINUX32 personality (see attached).  I think I
programmed it correctly, but C is not (yet!) my forte, so if I made an
error, please let me know.  From within the same pure environment, I
used this wrapper program to invoke mrustc in the same way, and it
_still_ succeeded.  That surprised me, since I expected it to fail.

Can you think of any other way I can try to reproduce the issue?

--
Chris