guix-devel

Re: Public key (and mailing list issue)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:02:35 +0100

Hi Brett, hi devels

Brett Gilio <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Upon investigation of the key server it seems that Ludo's key is
> missing.

i searched for it four times in 5 minutes and it worked three times,
failing twice with "No data"; anyway it seems to me that search is always
very slow

this issue has been reported to GnuPG https://dev.gnupg.org/T4163 but
AFAIU thers is nothing they can do, nor Guix maintainers

...but: I've switched to hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net [1] as my
default pool and now lookups are _very_ fast

should we change the proposed command line to fetch the key in the
installation script and in the "Binary installation" section of the
manual?

something like

  gpg --keyserver hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net --search-keys
3CE464558A84FDC69DB40CFB090B11993D9AEBB5

AFAIU for this to work out of the box users need a 2.1.11 and above
gnupg version, otherwise they should follow the instructions found here:

  https://sks-keyservers.net/overview-of-pools.php#pool_hkps

pointers to official GnuPG manual/howto on how to set hkps pools?

WDYT?

if there is enough consensus I can send a pathcset

Ciao
Giovanni

[...]

[1] "keyserver hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net" in my .gnupg/gpg.conf

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures