guix-devel

Re: Asking Open Source Design for Videos?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Asking Open Source Design for Videos?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 17:21:54 +0100

Hi,

I have no opinion. I just relate what is on their website.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 16:49, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Björn, Ludo',
>
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:
> >> And last, they say "open source" and not "free software".
>
> I don't think this signifies much if anything.

https://opensourcedesign.net/faq/

<<quote

Why “Open Source” not “Free Software”

Our name choice was never an intentional decision or discussion. In
our earliest organizing we just started intuitively using our name
(Open Source Design) and it stuck. The reasons we feel good about this
choice are:

The Free as in beer / freedom confusion
Free Software is older and has a specific community, culture, and goals
Open source is a newer term and can have broader goals
Open source has done a better job at outreach and has broader public
understanding at present
Open source (and especially design) extends beyond software to
hardware, architecture, manufacturing, and more
Acronyms like FOSS, FLOSS are not user friendly and pertain to just software
Spelling out said acronyms is also not designer / user friendly

end>>

All the best,
simon