guix-devel

Re: Haskell dependencies for custom cabal builds

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Haskell dependencies for custom cabal builds
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:06:18 -0500

Hi John,

John Soo <address@hidden> writes:

> I’ll check out git-annex as a start. Custom Cabal builds would be a
> nice feature to add to the haskell-build-system. Would it be
> sufficient to add some extra argument to the build system?

At this point, I don’t know what the argument would do.  :)

The solution I came up with for git-annex only works for git-annex.  I
had to carefully read the build code, and carve out certain parts so
that they could run in different environments.  It is not something that
could be enabled by an argument.

The only idea I have would be switching from using “runhaskell Setup.hs”
to using the “cabal” executable.  Hopefully, Cabal would set up the GHC
package database before running the custom code.  If it worked, it could
be enabled by a build-system argument.  I’m definitely just guessing
here, though.  If you wanted to test this, you could copy out code from
“guix/build/haskell-build-system.scm” into custom phases in your
package.  If it proves useful, we could adapt it into the build system.

So far, custom builds have been extremely rare, so these issues are not
very well explored.

-- Tim