guix-devel

Re: Guix Emacs: use XRandr rather than Gdk?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix Emacs: use XRandr rather than Gdk?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:59:13 +0100

Benjamin Slade <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought I'd start here, since I've only found this behaviour on
> Guix, and `frame.el` doesn't seem to be very forthcoming about how it
> decides whether to use 'Gdk' or 'XRandr'.

This is done by x-display-monitor-attributes-list, which is defined in
src/xfns.c.  It uses Gdk when Emacs is configured to USE_GTK (the code
that sets the source to “Gdk” is in an #ifdef).

We build Emacs with GTK+, but … we may not need to do this as Emacs is
not a regular GTK client.  I recall that there are other oddities when
using GTK, such as crashes when disconnecting from a remote Emacs
daemon, which only happens with a GTK build of Emacs.

There may be another way to get a fully graphical Emacs without having
to build with GTK.

--
Ricardo