guix-devel

Re: Issue with my version of guix

From: znavko
Subject: Re: Issue with my version of guix
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 21:32:32 +0100 (CET)

Hello, Laura!
To update guix use this line under every user you need:

$ guix pull && guix package -u

by root the same:
# guix pull && guix package -u

Then `guix describe` or `guix --version` will show the commit you have.

But I really do not know how to look human readable version like 0.15 or 0.16 ??

Also if you need to upgrade guix-daemon (but this does not matter,
Ricardo Wurmus said here https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-01/msg00000.html )
you can use by root:

# guix system reconfigure /path/to/your/config.scm

If you do not use config.scm you will not be able to configure your system (something like  changing network settings or display manager settings (autologin for example)). You can copy it from example here https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Using-the-Configuration-System  . People say there are a lot of examples in the web. But there is no any link in manual, and I did not find in guix.cgit.

If you want to try different substitution servers use command to authorize new server you use first time and option --substitute-urls
You also can read manual 'Substitutes' section: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Substitutes

Hope, it helps.

Feb 8, 2019, 3:25 PM by address@hidden:
Hi Guix!

i have an issue with my guix version. It seems to have not been
upgraded to guix 0.16.0, even I have the new commands.

This is the output of my guix --version, which shows a commit.
guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 9d58e8819fdbc4c1c8a1ef6149e2d2376731a6a6
Copyright (C) 2019 the Guix authors

And both for installing stuff with guix package or even guix pulling,
I need to add the subsitute option for using https://ci.guix.info
Otherwhise it uses the mirror from hydra.

Do you know what I am missing here?

Regards :)
Laura