guix-devel

Install doc + templates overhaul

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Install doc + templates overhaul
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 19:28:23 +0100

I've just re-installed Guix from a 0.16 image.  My first time in a year,
and I've had the opportunity to have a fresh look at the installation
manual.  I've taken note of a few confusing points that gave me a hard
time installing Guix (even the 2nd time :p) so here they are.  I'll send
a patch to address them if you people agree.

- From the manual, 6.1.4 Preparing for Installation:

   If you instead wish to use EFI-based GRUB, a FAT32 “EFI System
Partition” (ESP) is required.  This partition should be mounted at
‘/boot/efi’ and must have the ‘esp’ flag set.  E.g., for ‘parted’:

Actually the EFI partition can be mounted anywhere (/efi or /boot are also
customary), it's up to the users to make sure they are pointed at the right
mounted location.

   Also mount any other file systems you would like to use on the target
system relative to this path.  If you have ‘/boot’ on a separate
partition for example, mount it at ‘/mnt/boot’ now so it is found by
‘guix system init’ afterwards.

That's not consistent with /mnt/boot/efi that was just mentioned above.
Besides, I think we should mention the word "EFI" in this paragraph so that
people find this paragraph when they search for the EFI term to make sure
they've covered everything

- From 6.1.5 Proceeding with the Installation
   • Make sure the ‘bootloader-configuration’ form refers to the target
     you want to install GRUB on.  It should mention ‘grub-bootloader’
     if you are installing GRUB in the legacy way, or
     ‘grub-efi-bootloader’ for newer UEFI systems.  For legacy systems,
     the ‘target’ field names a device, like ‘/dev/sda’; for UEFI
     systems it names a path to a mounted EFI partition, like
     ‘/boot/efi’, and do make sure the path is actually mounted.

At the end, it's unclear whether the EFI partition must be _currently_ mounted
or if the config.scm must have a mount point declaration.  Actually, it's both,
and that be made explicit I think.  Also see the next point:

- From gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl:

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (target "/boot/efi")))
  ;...

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                      %base-file-systems))

The EFI partition is missing from the file-systems declaration!!

- All templates:
I remember this was discussed before, but shouldn't we replace (cons* ...) with
(list ...)?  It's easier to grok for users new to Lisp.

- In the operating-system record, what's the default value of home-directory (in
  (users (list (user-account (home-directory ...)))))?  Shouldn't default to
  (string-append "/home/" name)?  That could also spare us some potential
  mistakes at install-time.

- I was surprised to see that from the install image, curl, git, etc. would fail
  with an SSL error.  It's annoying because I really needed to get my config.scm
  from an online source.

  I only briefly investigated: the environment has

SSL_CERT_DIR=/etc/ssl/certs
SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

  but the install image only has a /etc/ssl file.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/