guix-devel

Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:15:34 +0100

Hi all,

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hello Guix,
>>>
>>> I’m not sure if this is a bug, but on Guix System, ‘sudo’ leaves PATH
>>> unchanged:

this also happens on foreign distros :-)

[...]

>> Yes, this is expected and desired behaviour.  Sysadmins generally use
>> “su -” or “sudo -i” to get a “proper” root login shell because of this.
>
> OK.
>
>>> However, it trips up many people.

yes, and it was a subject of many help requests both here and help-guix
in recent months (since I'm subscribed)

[...]

> … which doesn’t do what one might think before “sudo guix pull” updates
> root’s ‘guix’ whereas “sudo guix system” uses the user’s ‘guix’.
>
> Either we should rephrase it or perhaps explicitly write:
>
>   From then on, you can update GuixSD whenever you want by running:
>
>   @example
>   guix pull
>   sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>   @end example

IMHO it should be explicitly stated that in general it's not
advised/needed to install guix for the root user and that "guix system"
must be run as a normal user via sudo (and the user must be allowed to
do so by root via sudoers); then the example above

[...]

Thanks!
Giovanni

--