guix-devel

Re: Docker and singularity containers

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Docker and singularity containers
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 17:14:31 +0100

Hi simon,

> Well, why not push to DockerHub time to time.
> I agree that will attract people if Guix provide an official docker
> image reachable from DockerHub.
[…]
> Therefore:
>  - which tasks and which packages?

I don’t know.  We could have one with R + all CRAN and bioconductor
packages that we currently offer.

>  - how?

That’s easier: with “guix pack”.  We would create a Cuirass job to build
a pack regularly.  We’d need to add support for hooks to publish the
generated pack on DockerHub, though we could just as well host them
ourselves.

Would you like to give this a try?  A good first step is to list the
steps that need to be performed.  A first implementation might even be
done with a cron job.  I could add this to berlin.guixsd.org when you’re
ready.

--
Ricardo