guix-devel

Re: guix build--rounds=N does not behave as expected

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: guix build--rounds=N does not behave as expected
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 18:23:56 +0100

On 2018-12-31 13:27, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

Hi swedebugia,

“guix build --rounds=N” builds the package N times if it hasn’t already
been built.  With grafts enabled this would be the graft derivation,
which isn’t very useful.

If the package has previously been built, however, it won’t rebuild the
package.  That’s why we have “--check”.

I really think we should signal a helpful error to the user if only
--rounds=N is specified and --check is missing.

Using “--rounds” without “--check” is correct.  There should not be an
error or a warning in that case.

Rounds does not seem to work.
E.g. I ran this:
$ guix build automake --check --rounds=2

and the result was this:
phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.1 seconds
/gnu/store/k7gymsw2xfp20fv30x5niilwnxpj2d2k-automake-1.16.1

I think this is a bug.
Rounds should ignore the item in store and swallow check so that it does what the user expects.

Right now it seems that check swallows rounds and rounds alone fail because the item is already in the store.

Alternatively I would like that guix ask me if I want to build the rounds EVEN THOUGH it is in the store. But that would be less nice.

--
Cheers Swedebugia