guix-devel

Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 20:47:41 +0100

On 26/12/2018 10:38, Efraim Flashner wrote:
We're now about a year out from the official EOL for python2 (Jan 1,
2020). So far we've been not adding python2 variants of packages that
are new unless they're actually needed for something. Do we want to
start removing python2 packages when updating other packages if they are
leaf packages?

What would we gain by that? Plenty of people are still using Python 2. Many rather specialized packages still exist only for Python 2, and may well depend on packages that are leaves within Guix. Why make their life more difficult as long as there is no clear benefit in terms of Guix maintenance effort?

Konrad.