guix-devel

Re: Internet Archive APIs useful as fallback?

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Internet Archive APIs useful as fallback?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:18:53 +0100

On 2018-12-19 15:57, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi!

swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:

I stumbled over these at clintons blog and thought I would share them
here if anybody is interested.

APIs for content other that way-back machine:
https://blog.archive.org/2018/12/13/documentation-for-public-apis-at-the-internet-archive/

APIs for the way-back machine:
https://archive.org/help/wayback_api.php

We added support to retrieve Git checkouts (and some tarballs) from
Software Heritage recently:

   https://issues.guix.info/issue/33432

The Internet Archive is not in the business of archiving software, but
it’d be interesting to see if it archives tarballs that people put on
“random” web sites, in which case it could also be useful.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Yes, thanks for working on SWH! I did not yet succede to download from it but I guess it has to do with the baking and all.

---

I tested 3 of the quicklisp (there are ~1000) packages and these 2 worked:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170313123155/http://beta.quicklisp.org/archive/cl-moneris/2011-04-18/cl-moneris-20110418-git.tgz
https://web.archive.org/web/20170330204246/http://beta.quicklisp.org/archive/cl-modlisp/2015-09-23/cl-modlisp-20150923-git.tgz

:D

I tested the pypi packages and none out of 8 I tried was available.

To my knowledge the wayback crawler archives everything now, tgz, pdf, exe, you name it. It seems though that it does not archive these large files for every pass.

I think that the quicklisp example above is enough merit to add it as a last resort after trying SWH.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers Swedebugia