guix-devel

Re: IPFS trouble

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: IPFS trouble
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:07:13 -0300

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM Björn Höfling
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> I'm sending this also to guix-devel [and sorry for the previous, empty,
> private mail, I was too fast on the sending button].
>

> Note: I'm also new to IPFS, so I hope everything is correct here, if
> someone knows better, please reply.
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 00:04:56 -0300
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > > A good guide is:
> > > https://medium.com/textileio/the-definitive-guide-to-publishing-content-on-ipfs-ipns-dfe751f1e8d0.
>
> > Sorry, I read the documentation, but I am mixed up.
> > I have my peer identity, and my /ipfs/hash...
> > And I find confusing several things:
> > If I run ipfs add myfile, using my command line, I cannot find myfile
> > in my node. even the add command returns a hash for that file I guess.
> > And if I run ipfs ls or cat that hash, the file is shown.
>
> I don't get what you mean with "I cannot find my file". Where are you
> looking for it?
>
> > I found useful for instance the webui, but when running ipfs add, my
> > files don't appear there if I open it and the other way around either:
> > the files are there if I upload them in the webui, and they have a
> > hash. I can copy the hash from the webui, but it doesn't work if I run
> > ipfs ls on that hash. And the files added with ipfs add myfile do not
> > appear in the webui. The webui however has an option to share your
> > file, I don't know if that is useful.
>

> You have in IPFS file-objects and directory-objects. The command 'ipfs
> ls' is for listing the contents of directory-objects (i.e. list the
> files in that directory). If you use it on file-objects (that exit in
> the store), the command just returns with no output.
>

> This works for me:
>
> I have the daemon down, i.e. no 'ipfs daemon' started.
>
> Then I can still add things to my local IPFS-store:
>
> ```
> mkdir baz
> echo "foo" > baz/foo.txt
> echo "bar" > baz/bar.txt
> echo "Hello World, now it is $(date -u -Ins)" > baz/hello.txt
> cat baz/hello.txt
>
> Hello World, now it is 2018-12-18T12:08:57,304514914+00:00
>

> ipfs add -r baz/
> added QmTz3oc4gdpRMKP2sdGUPZTAGRngqjsi99BPoztyP53JMM baz/bar.txt
> added QmYNmQKp6SuaVrpgWRsPTgCQCnpxUYGq76YEKBXuj2N4H6 baz/foo.txt
> added QmXXZWRsLhFAHNWW6tH4TJVB2UiUPsUX8TZhYavqTne6RH baz/hello.txt
> added QmZ9iMU1iKRpAs7dR7XTLGaYtkcYFn6EiMXRhqpk5jaeNg baz
>  67 B / 67 B
> [=========================================================] 100.00%
>

> Now I can open the web-browser:
>
> localhost:9090/ipfs/QmYNmQKp6SuaVrpgWRsPTgCQCnpxUYGq76YEKBXuj2N4H6
>
> --> (Note:I changed my port from default 8080 to 9090, on 8080 is
> already something listening) Unable to connect, I don't have the daemon
> up yet.
>
> https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmYNmQKp6SuaVrpgWRsPTgCQCnpxUYGq76YEKBXuj2N4H6
>
> --> Shows "foo", as this Hash is already uploaded in the global network
> [...]
Thank you! I will try it. I felt really silly for spending  too much
time on that. I just want to share my videos so that you can see how
they are, even they are videos for trying out the video/translation
tools. BTW, I edited the libreplanet site, changing some stuff about
the commands that I faced, and adding comments about why I did so.
I am not running the daemon in background, since I don't mind having a
terminal open. I will write back to let you know if it your steps work
for me :)

Thank you!

Regards,
Laura