guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix & GuixSD 0.16.0 released

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: GNU Guix & GuixSD 0.16.0 released
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:15:48 +0100

Hi!

> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Yesterday I gave a passionate 'I love Guix' lightning talk about Guix
>> packages at the biohackathon in Japan. Many people after approached me
>> and said that the website is confusing them because it looks like it
>> is promoting a Linux distribution... I know this is an old topic, but
>> it would be nice if we found a way to promote Guix packaging as it
>> works so well outside GuixSD.
>
> Yes, that should be a nice side-effect of calling everything “Guix”.

does this mean that "guix system" is capable of
instantiating/reconfiguring an operating-system declaration (services
included) even outside GuixSD?

AFAIK for this we need Sheperd as PID 1 and I do not know how I can get
it on a systemd based (or any other different PID 1) distro

do we need a FAQ on https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/, the first may be
"What is the difference between GuixSD and Guix"?

thanks!
Gio

--
Giovanni Biscuolo