guix-devel

Re: hg-fetch with subrepos

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: hg-fetch with subrepos
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 14:58:52 +0100

Hello,

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:

> And I stumbled upon that problem too. Ludovic explained me on IRC: The
> problem is the metadata directory ".hg": It contains metadata that is
> not fixed. For normal hg-repositories, it will be stripped away, but
> not recursively for those with sub-repos.
>
> I have a patch that works. I just wasn't sure if it goes to master or
> to staging, as it could affect the java-packages as well.

Such a patch can go to ‘master’: it won’t trigger any rebuild because,
by definition, the content hash of an ‘origin’ is known in advance
(these are “fixed-output derivations.”)

However, we should audit current uses of ‘hg-fetch’ with recursive
sub-repos because there hashes are most likely wrong already.

> I'm attaching what I have here, will prepare an official patch tonight
> or tomorrow.

Awesome.  FWIW this patch already LGTM.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.