guix-devel

Re: Naming of node packages with @ and /

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Naming of node packages with @ and /
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:34:48 +0100

On 2018-11-28 00:10, Catonano wrote:

Il giorno mar 27 nov 2018 alle ore 21:58 swedebugia <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> ha scritto:

    Hi

    There are some crazy naming going on in the node-community. How do we
    deal with this?

    Note: there is another package called "babel-core" so just
    stripping/replacing the weird characters won't work well.

    Any ideas?
snip

I think those are the so called "scoped packages"

https://docs.npmjs.com/misc/scope

https://nitayneeman.com/posts/understanding-scoped-packages-in-npm/

Aha! This makes sense. The importer and guix package will have to handle this.

E.g. this way:

guix import npm -S babel babe-core
where -S is "scope".

We will probably have to add a field or property to our (package)
record stating that it is part of a scope:
(properties
`((scope . babel)))

guix package will have to support it too:
guix package -i -S babel babel-core

What do you think? Any better ways to handle this?

Do we have to bother with scope? Can't we simply import the package like so:

guix import npm @babel/babel-core

and install the corresponding package with

guix package -i bable/bable-core

I don't like the idea of adding this notion of scope to guix, unless we really need it for something?

We can do that. It is simpler.

Won't the "/" interfere with something, e.g. the scripts for updating packages? We will have to adapt those perhaps but that is doable.

Effectively you suggest we strip the @ in the guix-name procedure in npm.scm and keep the rest intact.
--
Cheers
Swedebugia