guix-devel

Workflow recommendation for workarounds

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Workflow recommendation for workarounds
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 09:15:22 +0100

Hello guix,

I have a workflow recommendation for tracking cases where we have to
work around bugs in packages we can't upgrade for a long time:

1. create a bug report for the buggy package. (Let's call this the primary bug)
2. when making a modification to work around the bug create another
bug report to remove
the workaround and make the primary bug block this.

This way we can make these more visible, we can even mark these bugs
easy (usually they really are).

I find this important, as these unneeded changes don't get stuck in
our codebase.

I also would like to propose some more little workflow related changes:

When closing a bug unblocks other bugs, then we should cc the devel
list to the closing mail and make a notification that this unblocks
other bugs. ( As far as I know there is currently no way to subscribe
to a bug, so without this we don't get updated about the status
change)

Also we might create a policy on how to close bugs. I would recommend
closing only when a fix lands on master, and updating the bug when the
fix changes branches, like: fixed on core-updates-next on commit ...,
then fix migrated to core-updates on commit ..., finally fixed on
master by commit ..., closing.

WDYT?