guix-devel

Re: Cyclic npm dependencies

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Cyclic npm dependencies
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 17:38:57 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 03:41:35PM +0000, Jelle Licht wrote:
>    Hey swedebugia,
>    I will still send a more elaborate reply to the general npm-importer
>    thread later this week, but we can assume that generally these
>    recursive dependencies can be untangled by looking at the different
>    versions of the dependencies.
>    So in your example, I imagine an input chain like:
>    node-glob 0.1  -> node-rimraf 0.1 -> node-glob 0.2 -> node-rimraf 0.2
>    -> .... -> node-glob 1.0 -> node-rimraf 1.0
>    While *extremely* annoying to untangle, this is definitely doable.

Appears to me that it would suffice to pick the latest version. In
case there is no clear version info just pick whatever is there.

In general this should work. Any unit tests should show breakage.

Circular dependencies are (unfortunately) getting more common. Not
only in npm, but in all ad hoc package managers. I think their
assumption is too that you pick the latest.

Pj.