guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 23:48:52 +0900

Hey!

> Now, why does the default value of LANG matter anyway?  I mean, the
> installer starts out with a default language, presumably English, right?
> So you can simply add, say, (setenv "LC_ALL" "en_US.utf8") when starting
> the installer, can’t you?

Yup its a way, but in the higly improbable case we want to distribute
install images with the 'locale' field of 'installation-os' set to
something else than en_US.utf8, then LANG matters. I found a hack
consisting in loading everything in /etc/environment just before
starting the installer but I'm not very proud of it!

>   4. The installation system tests still work (e.g.,
>      “make check-system TESTS=installed-os”.)  Normally they won’t
>      require any modifications since they just run a Bash installation
>      script directly through the marionette.

Yup, I'll check!

> When do you think we could merge?  I’d like to release by the end of
> next week or the week after at the latest.  (If you think you can’t make
> it, that’s fine too, no pressure!)

I just pushed to wip-newt-installer some commits. Most of what you
described in points 1, 2 and 3 should be ok. The part, I'm not sure
about and I would like you to have a look is the (guix self) part. I'm
not sure I understand the point of having a *installer-modules*
scheme-node if we don't want to build and distribute the installer via
(guix self).

So what I did is removing (gnu system install) from *system-modules* so
that, all references to the installer is absent from (guix self), but
maybe it's not the right thing to do.

Thanks,

Mathieu