guix-devel

Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.]
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:48:20 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 06:38:53PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Yes, it should be statically linked.  Isn't it the same issue as we recently
> had
> with go-1.11 itself?
>
> The fix was

>            ;; Prevent installation of the build cache, which contains store
>            ;; references to most of the tools used to build Go and would
>            ;; unnecessarily increase the size of Go's closure if it was
>            ;; installed.
>            ;; TODO This should be moved into the 'install' phase when Go 1.9
> is
>            ;; removed.
>            (add-before 'install 'delete-extraneous-files
>              (lambda _
>                (delete-file-recursively "../pkg/obj")
>                #t))

Unfortunately, in this case, the references are within the executable
binaries, so it's not the same issue.

We could rewrite the references like we do for the errant compiler
references. This will be really expensive though — if there is no other
way, then it's time to finally move the Boyer-Moore implementation in
(guix grafts) to its own module so we can use it easily.

But ideally we could prevent these references from being created in the
first place.