guix-devel

Re: Cuirass and (guix config)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Cuirass and (guix config)
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 23:11:44 +0100

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> I use Cuirass to build Guix disk-images on a powerful machine serving
> them with guix publish. I was surprised that a lot of local build where
> triggered instead of using substitutes. I think this is the reason:
>
> When Cuirass fetches a new guix, it is prepended to the load path during
> evalution here (guix/build-aux/hydra/gnu-system.scm):
>
>   (and=> (assoc-ref (current-source-location) 'filename)
>          (lambda (file)
>            (let ((dir (canonicalize-path
>                        (string-append (dirname file) "/../.."))))
>              (format (current-error-port) "prepending ~s to the load path~%"
>                      dir)
>              (set! %load-path (cons dir %load-path))))))
>
> ./configure is never run on the fetched guix by Cuirass. Thus, the only
> (guix config) present in the load-path is the one of the guix whom
> cuirass depends (the one pointed out by a guix gc -R cuirass).

Yes.  So far, I don’t see a problem though.

> So, the disk-image builded by Cuirass (and presumably other stuff)
> depends of the guix input of Cuirass.

To be clear, it depends on the value of the variables in the host (guix
config) module, right?

Which derivations exactly are affected by this?

> I was able to confirm my theory by running:
>
> $(guix gc -R running-cuirass|grep guix)/bin/guix environment guix --pure
> ./configure
> ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image gnu/system/install.scm
>
> This time no local build were triggered.

Hmm!

The issue sounds familiar, but I’m not quite sure what the problem is
for the set of ‘disk-image’ derivations.

Thanks,
Ludo’.