guix-devel

Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guideli

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 13:55:31 +0100

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm unable to travel to FOSDEM this year, so moving the discussion there
> would effectively exclude me from participating in it.

In my view, in-person communication for free software projects can help
understand each other better and build consensus, but on-line discussion
with all those who could not be there physically is still necessary.  No
argument here.

>> Furthermore, this project, like any other, has its license, its rules,
>> etc.  Of course we can discuss these things together, it’s what makes a
>> project healthy.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> However, when joining the project, one agrees to follow these rules
>
> While I generally agree with the policies outlined in our CoC, […]

Just to clarify: all I wanted to say is that, in general, you can’t join
a group and right from the start ask for significant changes in the
group rules.

As for the code of conduct, we maintainers ask people to follow it on
the project’s communication channels, which are primarily the mailing
lists and IRC channel.

Thanks,
Ludo’.