guix-devel

Re: Adding a note to 3.6 Invoking guix pull

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Adding a note to 3.6 Invoking guix pull
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 11:44:59 +0100

On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 10:47:39AM +0100, swedebugia wrote:
>    Hi
>
>    The more I use guix pull the less I feel like updating guix this way.

Have you tried fixating with the --commit option? I think that is
really important.

I do have the baffling issue that when I run two identical guix pulls
on two machines and use 'guix publish' on packages built using that
guix not all substitutes are available for the other. Maybe it has
something to do with the guix-daemon versions.

>    I saw a long time ago a post from Ricardo about updating guix directly
>    from the source tree.
>
>    I think this way of updating guix should be written clearly in the
>    manual and perhaps be noted in 3.6 Invoking guix pull

I have most success with using a build container for that. As
described in

https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org

(search for bullet).