guix-devel

New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual

From: swedebugia
Subject: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 09:04:37 +0100

Hi

I think we need a new section in the manual detailing much of the repetitious troubleshooting going on here (see example in appendix 2).

I would like give it a stab.

I would like it to contain all errors that has been shared with the list at least twice.

Help compiling such a list of those would be appreciated (see a start in appendix 1)

What do you think?

Cheers

Swedebugia

Appendix 1:

Guix pull:

Guix packages:

  • After installing a package it is not found:
    • bash: test-not-found: command not found
    • try locating the bin with: sudo updatedb && locate test-not-found
    • If it found something the package is probably correctly installed but you have an incorrect $PATH.
Guix build
  • Source URL not found (404 errors, etc.)
    • When looking for a file that Guix is trying to download but which is no
      longer available at the expected URL, I normally just do a web search
      for the file name, in this case "texlive-20170524-extra.tar.xz".  Any
      site will do.  It needn't be a site you trust, because Guix always
      checks the sha256 hash anyway.

      If you "guix download" a file with the right name but the wrong
      contents, it will be successfully added to the store, but with the wrong
      hash string in the file name in /gnu/store, so nothing will ever use it.
      When you attempt to restart the build that failed, it will again try to
      download it, because the file it needs is not in the store.  The bogus
      file will be deleted the next time to run "guix gc".

  • Hash mismatch
sha256 hash mismatch for output path '/gnu/store/bjpalrv9f49d2k40p7ga0y6dwdys9w5j-bzip2-1.0.6.tar.gz'
expected: *****************************************
actual: *********************************************
cannot build derivation: ***************************
  • Bad Read-Header-Line header: #<eof>
    • This is really probably a 404. (and a bug in guix for not yet handling this correctly and throwing a backtrace instead)
    • Find a working substitute on another substitute server or build the package yourself by specifying --fallback.

guix system init

  • parenthesis mismatch error:
    • check your parenthesis
      • nano: guide...
      • emacs: install paredit and do ...
  • module missing
  • invalid field specifier
    • often points to the start of the offending s-_expression_. (this is most often happening with service definitions which can be hard to get right for newcomers)
      • Start by checking any newly changed fields - did you follow the manual correctly?
      • If this does not help try firing up the REPL with
        • $ guile
        • And type (use-modules bla bla
        • Then paste the service definitions one by one
        • If you need more help as on IRC or help-guix.
  • gnu/services.scm:703:40: In procedure service-kind: Wrong type argument:
  • compiling the world
    • if unable to find substitutes guix will AUTOMATICALLY fall back to building from source without asking you for a go-ahead.
    • The only way to avoid this is to minimize the packages specified in the config.scm (general advice as it tend to make guix init/reconfigure take a long time) and make sure you have access to substitutes.

Appendix 2