guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:25:33 +0100

Hi Lakshmi,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 01:33:57 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
> I just tried to import a package called 'weights' from cran
> repository. Its a package related to weighting and weighted
> statistics. I am attaching the definition package with this mail.
> Please find the attachment. In the next step I understand that we are
> suppose to store this in a file in the Guix store tree. I'm not sure
> about how to proceed with this step. Is it like pushing to git ?

"Pushing" would be only the final step. But that is only allowed for
registered developers.

To start: Follow the instructions in section 7 of the documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Contributing

To summarize it, you need to clone the git sources and then add your
package definition to the gnu/packages/cran.scm file, commit your
changes with a commit message as explained in section 7.5 (Submitting
Patches). Finally instead of pushing, you generate a patch file with
`git format-patch` and send it to the patches tracker.

Does that sound reasonable?

Björn