guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 09:47:56 -0300

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 5:17 AM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 29., H, 0:27):

> Ok,let me see if I am understanding. For the audio, some people will
> have to say "I speak X language" and  narrate that part, By video you
> mean for screencasted, like changing the people that appear?

This would be optimal, as this way the lips do match.

I thought that maybe only replacing the audio was OK.

In certain cases it is. One option would be to retain the
original screencast, or we could even decide to not show
the person speaking. I proposed to have the narrator
video overlayed onto the screen recording to have
this flexibility

> When I did my little
> research about concepts for videos, I read that you can mute the
> original video, and add another voice, even if the lips don't match,
> and even add the options of choosing subtitles (For example: have the
> video with English speaker and choose not to add the subtitles, or add
> english/spanish/french/choose whatever language you like, too, even
> some of them are made with extra comments like [writing on a board] -
> I don't remember the name of that - or have the video in Spanish and
> do the same.

This is partially the reason that I proposed to decompose the narration
video into a separate audio and video stream from the start. A lot of
containers support multiple subtitle and multiple audio tracks, and it
is even possible for a player to autoselect them, for example based on
locale. This way we could provide an output, where narration video is
not overlayed, but an unlocalized screen recoding is available with
all the translated audio and subtitles. The extra comments and clarification
information is represented by the screen recording subtitles in my setup,
as these are most likely to connect to what you see on screen, rather than
what the narrator says, but it is perfectly possible to have a third set of
subtitles, independent of the recordings.

> For non-screencasted translating the slides and CLI
> comands I thought it was easier. I could do the spanish translations,
> at least for the subtitles, but if we can parallelize that, the
> better.

I think this one is for a later time, but it would be nice if you could help
with translations. One great benefit would be if we could translate at
least a few videos, that we could test the video translation infrastructure
and write up a workflow for further translators.
Sure! I mentioned the subtitles because of my accent - I speak Spanish, but the spanish from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I can write in neutral latin american spanish, but my spoken accent is different to the latin american audios from movies, and much more different to spanish from Spain. Even to different places of Argentina. But we could give it a try and make is as neutral as possible :) Or at least have a prototype for later.
I believe that at least for the subtitles part

Best regards,
g_bor