guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 09:59:13 +0100

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:50:54 -0500
Alex Griffin <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018, at 1:42 PM, Tonton wrote:

> >From sentence 1 of the Contributor Covenant:
> > In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we
> > as contributors and maintainers pledge to [...]
>
> This snippet right here is a problem even before we get to the meat
> and potatoes. I don't appreciate the presumption that my mere
> participation indicates my agreement with this document. It rubs me
> the wrong way even when I'm only reporting a bug (which does fall
> under its scope, because 'issues', as found in an issue tracker, are
> explicitly mentioned further down).

You can harass in just one bug report: "Module foo does not work for
me. [Normal bug report things here] This beast is written in
such a bad way, the bug is more its contributor Bar, he/she/zhe is so
[inappropriate phrase here], get rid of him/her/zhe immediately and the
problem is resolved."

Nobody asked about reporting, nobody asked to sign a CoC or anything,
yet this is harassment and the project (maintainer) should take
immediate steps to protect Bar.

The same harassment can pretty well be packed in a patch.

In law, there is the term of "conduct implying an intent". So even not
signing anything you could argue that by sending a bug or a patch you
silently agree with the community guidelines, CoC, etc. You enter the
community be interacting the first time. And will be judged by their
guidelines.

Björn