guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:11:36 +0200

Hello Lakshmi,
Welcome to Guix!

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 17., Sze 8:45):
Hi Lakshmi,

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 09:04:40 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi  Björn,
> I write to you in regards to the project description seen at the
> Outreachy project list. I would like to join your community and start
> contributing to the documentation part of it.

Welcome to Guix! I'm adding the public mailing list on CC, so other
community members can also answer if necessary. Also adding Gabor on
CC, who is the main mentor.

>  Though I have joined
> the IRC channel for GNU GUIX, I'm continually receiving the error
> message as below on sending messages:
> == Cannot send to nick/channel

There was recently a spam attack on the freenode IRC network. Since
then you need to register your nick name before it is possible to join
the #guix channel. If you haven't done that yet, here are the
instructions:

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

You can also join the mailing list and write there.

> My understanding regarding the project contribution is to make
> video tutorials on how to install and use GNU GUIX.
> Could you kindly direct me with some initial task so that I can start
> working on it and get familiar with the environment?

Yes, that's right, video documentation is the job. One requirement for
Outreachy is to make a first, formal contribution to the project. For
Guix that means you could add a new package.

But the very first step is to install Guix and get used to it. You can
install Guix either on top of another Linux-Distribution or standalone,
in a virtual mashine or on real hardware. On top of an existing distro
is probably the easiest step.

The docs for installation should be linked from the Outreachy Project
site, I post it also here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation

Yes, installation would be the first step.

If you have any questions feel free to ask (preferably on the mailing
list, or if it works for you, on IRC).

Yours,

Björn

Best regards,