guix-devel

Re: rustup & cargo

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: rustup & cargo
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:16:04 +0200

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:06:54PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > It might be possible to have the Guix build farm build the rust branch.
> > I'm not sure how much load it would add to the build farm, though.
> > Maybe someone else on the list would know more?
>
> Building Rust seems to take a lot of time, so I’m not sure we could
> afford building daily Rust snapshots on our build farm.

If we were to build nightlies for a number of compilers/interpreters
it would be a really good 'marketing' move. Guix makes this feasible
and is a contrast with the typical scripting hell.

This would be particularly interesting for a number of upcoming
languages: Rust, Julia, Elixir, D...

Developers are a great target audience because they can write packages
in turn.

Maybe we should dedicate a machine for this. Or get one of the CI
websites to sponsor it using cloud services. I am happy to provide a
build VM to build nightly D compilers gdc and ldc. That way we could
start farming out 'specials'. Something to discuss in Brussels?

Pj.