guix-devel

Re: Guix & IPFS

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Guix & IPFS
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:56:52 +0200

The gopkg patch seems to work on repository where .toml is missing, despite some
missing fields (e.g. synopsis), but that's OK.

Back to IPFS: I have some bad news :(
The import path are hard-coded to use "gx/ipfs...", for instance

import (
        cid "gx/ipfs/QmPSQnBKM9g7BaUcZCvswUJVscQ1ipjmwxN5PXCjkp9EQ7/go-cid"
)

so this won't build directly.  I see two possibilities:

1. We patch IPFS to replace all "gx/ipfs/.*/go-cid" with
  "github.com/ipfs/go-cid", etc.  Thus leaving the responsibility to Guix to
  package the right version.

2. We package "gx" and run "gx install --global" before the build phase.

Method 2 goes in the direction of IPFS but opposite Guix, while method 1 is the
other way around.

Method 2 will be easier, and technically IPFS is here to give us a guarantee of
reproducibility.  What do you people think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/