guix-devel

Re: rustup & cargo

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: rustup & cargo
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 20:30:50 -0500

Chris Marusich writes:

Hi Brett!

Welcome! I'm also curious about the situation with Rust. I'm learning Rust because I find it interesting, and I use GuixSD, so here my two
interests (Rust and Guix) overlap.

Brett Gilio <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all, I am curious about the status of providing rustup toolchain management and cargo for guix. I work often in rust, and these tools
are
pretty essential. I might be interested in helping with the packaging here, but I would like to know what the Guix community has on this so
far.

I haven't done much with Rust yet, but I am able to compile programs and run them using the Guix-installed Rust compiler. I haven't tried using rustup to install or upgrade Rust, though; I think the way to install and upgrade Rust via Guix is to use Guix, not rustup, but I could be mistaken. I have no idea what the status of cargo is, but when I built a project the other day, it successfully downloaded a bunch of crates
and built the code, so presumably it's working.

If you search the email list, you'll find some other interesting
discussions about Rust. One problem we have is that Rust is not yet fully bootstrapped, but that's somewhat orthogonal to using Rust.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=rust&submit=Search%21&idxname=guix-devel&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

Glad to have you here!

Thank you, Chris! I, too, have been working with Guix's packaging of Rust. However, what I wish was available was a nightly build of the rust branch. I know it is likely possible to make a guile definition for this, I just have not gotten to it yet. That was mostly my inquiry as to
using rustup.

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member